Do you need planning permission?
BeforeBricks is a leading nationwide architecture service.
Learn more

Do I Need Planning Permission for C3(c) to B8(a) Change of Use?

Share 'Do I Need Planning Permission for C3(c) to B8(a) Change of Use?' article
C3(c) to B8(a) Change of Use
Image credit:
Vincent Wachowiak
Navigating the labyrinth of planning permissions can be a challenging process. For businesses and property owners, changing the designated use of a building can pose several questions, especially when it comes to the lesser-discussed C3(c) to B8(a) Change of Use. This blog aims to shed light on this specific topic, guiding you through the planning permissions needed, architectural considerations, and the benefits of such a transformation.
New to British Dwelling? It's an online platform that helps anyone improve their home and garden with useful tips and advice. We also connect you with local home professionals. Architects, Interior Designers, Buildings, you name name it! Sign up for free to get the most out of British Dwelling today.

What is C3(c) to B8(a) Change of Use?

In British planning law, every building is assigned a 'Use Class' which determines what the building may be used for. Class C3(c) usually refers to residential dwellings with multiple occupants, like a group of friends sharing a flat. B8(a), on the other hand, pertains to buildings designated for storage or distribution. This change of use from a dwelling to a storage facility requires meticulous planning and, most importantly, permission from your local planning authority.

The Importance of Local and National Planning Policies

Before diving into the planning application, it’s essential to consult both local and national planning policies. The National Planning Policy Framework (NPPF) provides the overall context, but remember, local planning policies can have specific requirements. These policies cover not just the change of use but also aspects like appearance, dimensions, and materials to be used, offering a holistic guideline for what the local councils expect in a C3(c) to B8(a) Change of Use project.

Do I Need Building Regulations Approval?

Contrary to popular belief, obtaining planning permission and getting building regulations approval are two distinct processes. For a C3(c) to B8(a) Change of Use, you will likely need to adhere to building regulations that cover safety, energy efficiency, and accessibility. A certified architect can guide you through the nuances, ensuring that your application meets both planning and building standards.

How to Apply for C3(c) to B8(a) Change of Use Planning Permission

Your journey towards obtaining planning permission starts with submitting a detailed application to your local planning authority. You’ll require specific documents and drawings that precisely convey the proposed changes. Consult an experienced architect for creating detailed plans that comply with local policies. Moreover, you may also need to submit a Design and Access Statement that justifies the change and its impact on the locality.

Five Benefits of C3(c) to B8(a) Change of Use

  1. Diversification of Income: A storage facility may offer a more stable income compared to residential rentals.
  2. Lower Maintenance: Typically, storage facilities require less ongoing maintenance than residential properties.
  3. Business Opportunities: The change could open doors for partnerships with e-commerce businesses in need of storage space.
  4. Community Benefits: If there's a lack of storage solutions in your community, your project could fill this gap.
  5. Increased Property Value: Over time, the change could contribute to an increase in your property's value.

Fun fact

Did you know?
The storage and distribution industry accounts for approximately 15% of the UK’s total commercial floor space. Imagine converting a residential space into a thriving business hub!

Considerations for Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas

Changing the use of listed buildings or those in conservation areas usually comes with an extra layer of complexity. You might require ‘Listed Building Consent’ or adhere to stricter design criteria to preserve the architectural and historical significance of the area.

What Criteria Improve the Chances of Gaining Planning Permission?

While every application is subject to the specific policies and considerations of the local planning authority, there are general criteria that can significantly improve your chances for a successful C3(c) to B8(a) Change of Use application. One of the most important factors is how well your project integrates with the existing character and architecture of the area. Your proposal should be sensitive to its surroundings in terms of size, materials, and appearance.

Additionally, you'll need to consider practical aspects like traffic, noise levels, and potential disruption to the community. Local councils are more likely to green-light projects that take these factors into account and aim to mitigate them in a constructive way. Be ready to provide impact assessments for these variables; this is where hiring an experienced architect can make a significant difference. Their expertise can guide you in making choices that not only fulfil your objectives but also align with the broader planning guidelines, like those found on the Planning Portal.

Another key consideration is sustainability. Projects that incorporate energy-efficient materials and technologies are looked upon favourably, aligning with the UK's broader goals for sustainable development. Summing it up, paying close attention to local guidelines, collaborating with experienced architects, and demonstrating a commitment to sustainable and responsible development can improve your chances of gaining planning permission.

Documents and Drawings You Need for the Application

The Planning Application for a C3(c) to B8(a) Change of Use is far from a mere formality; it requires comprehensive planning and a slew of documents to support your case. You'll need scaled architectural drawings detailing both the existing and proposed states of the building. These should include floor plans, elevations, and cross-sections.

Moreover, a Design and Access Statement is usually required. This document is a narrative that explains your design's rationale and how it complies with the relevant planning policies and regulations. It should be drafted in a manner that’s easily understandable to non-professionals, outlining how your project caters to various accessibility requirements, such as those for disabled people.

Don't underestimate the power of thorough research and consultation, either. Reaching out to the local community, perhaps via a consultation event, can pre-empt objections and even lead to suggestions that could strengthen your application. It's a time-consuming process, but the more complete and well-considered your application, the smoother the approval process is likely to go.

Permitted Development Rights and Exceptions

It's crucial to understand that some buildings have Permitted Development Rights that allow certain types of changes without the need for planning permission. However, this usually does not extend to a drastic alteration like a C3(c) to B8(a) Change of Use. Yet, it's worthwhile to check whether any Permitted Development Rights apply to your building, as they might simplify some elements of your project.

The term ‘Permitted Development’ can be misleading, as there are various restrictions and conditions that must be met. These conditions often pertain to the size, appearance, and potential impact on neighbouring properties. If your building is in a designated area like a Conservation Zone or is a listed building, then additional restrictions are almost certain to apply. Always consult with professionals to ascertain the full scope of what is or isn’t allowed under Permitted Development Rights.

Understanding these subtleties and navigating them effectively can be challenging. It is yet another domain where the expertise of architects and planning consultants can prove invaluable. They can help demystify the complex language of planning permissions and building regulations, providing a clearer path to making your C3(c) to B8(a) Change of Use a reality.

Download this article now, and read it in your own time.

Pressed for Time?

Thank you! Your submission has been received!
Oops! Something went wrong while submitting the form.


What is a C3(c) to B8(a) Change of Use?It involves changing the use of a building from residential group dwelling to storage or distribution.

Is planning permission always required?Yes, it's generally required unless stated otherwise by the local planning policies.

Do architects play a role?Absolutely, they can guide you through the planning and application process.

What are the local planning policies?These are rules set by your local council that provide specific guidelines for planning applications.

What documents are needed?Architectural drawings and a Design and Access Statement are usually required.

Do I need to consider building regulations?Yes, you'll have to meet safety, accessibility, and energy efficiency standards.

What are the benefits of a C3(c) to B8(a) change?Increased income, business opportunities, and community benefits are some advantages.

Can I change a listed building?It's possible but comes with stricter rules and might require additional permissions.

How long does it take to get approval?The timescale varies but generally expect 8-12 weeks for a decision.

Do you need planning permission?
BeforeBricks is a leading nationwide architecture service.
Learn more
Where next? Well that's up to you, but here are some suggestions... you could contact us if you have any questions, or apply for free quotes from local home professionals.

Popular Articles

Sign up to our newsletter
Thank you! Your submission has been received!
Oops! Something went wrong while submitting the form.