Do you need planning permission?
BeforeBricks is a leading nationwide architecture service.
Learn more

Do I Need Planning Permission for C1(b) to B8(b) Change of Use?

Share 'Do I Need Planning Permission for C1(b) to B8(b) Change of Use?' article
C1(b) to B8(b) Change of Use
Image credit:
Harpreet Singh Grewal
In the ever-evolving landscape of architectural transformations, the question of planning permission often emerges as a perplexing enigma. As we delve into the intricate realms of C1(b) to B8(b) change of use, it becomes abundantly clear that conventional wisdom may not suffice. Welcome to a discourse that transcends the ordinary, where we challenge the status quo and navigate the uncharted waters of planning regulations. In this blog, we will explore not only whether planning permission is needed but also why it's needed and how to embark on this journey with confidence. Join us on a quest for unconventional insights that may reshape your perspective on the planning permission process.
New to British Dwelling? It's an online platform that helps anyone improve their home and garden with useful tips and advice. We also connect you with local home professionals. Architects, Interior Designers, Buildings, you name name it! Sign up for free to get the most out of British Dwelling today.

What is C1(b) to B8(b) Change of Use?

The concept of C1(b) to B8(b) Change of Use refers to the transition of a property's use class from C1(b)—residential hotels, to B8(b)—storage or distribution. This is a complex transition and involves various factors including, but not limited to, planning permission, local policies, and architectural considerations.

Understanding the Necessity of Planning Permission

Unlike popular belief that switching use classes is a straightforward affair, the C1(b) to B8(b) Change of Use involves intricate planning procedures governed by both local and national policies. In England, the Planning Portal is an invaluable resource that provides guidelines for different types of changes. The National Planning Policy Framework (NPPF) further establishes the principles to achieve sustainable development.

Role of Architects in Securing Planning Permission

Architects play a pivotal role in the C1(b) to B8(b) Change of Use planning permission process. With extensive knowledge of design, as well as local and national planning policies, architects can guide you through the intricacies of the NPPF and local planning constraints. Moreover, they can provide innovative design solutions to meet the building regulations required for B8(b) use.

Criteria for Improving Chances of Planning Approval

Your chances for gaining planning permission can be vastly improved by focusing on a few key areas:

  • Size and Limits: Complying with local size and height restrictions for storage and distribution facilities.
  • Materials: Use of environmentally friendly and locally approved building materials.
  • Appearance: Maintaining an aesthetic that is consistent with the surrounding area.
  • Character: Ensuring the change of use does not negatively impact the character or fabric of the neighbourhood.
  • Dimensions: Detailed architectural plans that comply with local planning requirements.

Application Process

Application for C1(b) to B8(b) Change of Use planning permission generally involves submitting a planning application to your local council. This usually includes site plans, architectural drawings, a design and access statement, and any other documentation required by your local planning authority. Ensure that these documents cover the five criteria mentioned above for a smoother process.

5 Benefits of C1(b) to B8(b) Change of Use

  1. Economic Upscale: The transition often results in higher revenue potential.
  2. Employment: B8(b) uses can generate more employment opportunities.
  3. Supply Chain Efficiency: Better for businesses that require large storage facilities.
  4. Urban Regeneration: Can breathe new life into otherwise less utilised spaces.
  5. Sustainability: Opportunity to implement sustainable practices in storage and distribution.

Permitted Development and Special Cases

In certain situations, such as temporary use or minor alterations, you may not require planning permission. This falls under permitted development, but this is not typically applicable for a C1(b) to B8(b) Change of Use.

Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas

If your property falls under a conservation area or is a listed building, you'll face additional layers of complexity. Such changes are more stringently regulated to preserve architectural and historical integrity.

Fun fact

Did you know?
One of the largest storage and distribution centres in the world covers an area equivalent to 20 football fields?

Additional Criteria to Improve Your Chances

As you prepare your planning application for a C1(b) to B8(b) Change of Use, it's essential to think beyond the basic requirements. To significantly improve your chances, pay close attention to the building's appearance, dimensions, character, and materials used.

Firstly, architects often recommend harmonizing your plans with the existing character of the area. For instance, if the surrounding area comprises mostly brick buildings, it may be beneficial to follow suit. It's not just about the external materials; consider internal structural changes that align with the local aesthetic.

The Planning Portal suggests ensuring your proposal doesn't exceed any size and dimensional limits outlined by the local council. This often relates to the height and overall footprint of the building, which could be crucial, particularly if your B8(b) use relates to storage or distribution that generally demands more space.

Lastly, don't overlook the local planning policies, which often stipulate criteria like parking spaces, landscaping, and accessibility. Review your local authority's guidelines and the National Planning Policy Framework (NPPF) to align your project accordingly.

Conservation Areas and Listed Buildings: Special Considerations

In many instances, a change of use might involve properties situated in a conservation area or that are listed buildings. In such cases, the scrutiny is often more intense due to the property's historical or architectural importance.

If your building falls into one of these categories, the NPPF has a section that provides specific guidance. Make sure you consult a specialised architect who has experience working with such properties. They can help you navigate additional layers of complexity that typical planning applications don't deal with. It's not just about preserving the building's exterior but also maintaining the historical character and architectural features of the interior.

And remember, the local planning policies may have additional restrictions or requirements for conservation areas and listed buildings. Don't assume general rules apply; always check with the local authority to be certain.

Do You Need Building Regulations Approval?

While our focus is on planning permission for C1(b) to B8(b) Change of Use, it's equally important to remember that separate building regulations approval is generally required. According to the Planning Portal, this is an entirely different process and should not be overlooked. This ensures that the building will meet health and safety standards, energy conservation regulations, and access and ease of use, among other factors.

An architect can be instrumental in ensuring that your drawings and plans meet building regulations. The complexity could range from changes in fire safety measures to the strength of building materials. When you submit your planning application, it's advantageous to demonstrate that you have also considered building regulations. Doing so not only satisfies the council but could potentially expedite your application.

Download this article now, and read it in your own time.

Pressed for Time?

Thank you! Your submission has been received!
Oops! Something went wrong while submitting the form.


What is C1(b) to B8(b) Change of Use?

  • It's a change in use class from residential hotels to storage or distribution.

Do I need planning permission for this change?

  • Yes, planning permission is generally required.

What role do architects play?

  • Architects help in design and compliance with local and national planning policies.

Are there size limitations?

  • Yes, local policies often set limitations.

What documents are needed for the application?

  • Site plans, architectural drawings, and a design and access statement.

Is it beneficial to change from C1(b) to B8(b)?

  • It depends on your objectives but can be economically beneficial.

Do I need building regulations approval?

  • Yes, building regulations approval is generally needed.

What are permitted developments?

  • These are changes that don't require planning permission, although typically not applicable for C1(b) to B8(b) Change of Use.

Do conservation areas affect the planning permission?

  • Yes, extra restrictions apply.

Can I make minor alterations without planning permission?

  • Generally, no. Always consult your local authority.
Do you need planning permission?
BeforeBricks is a leading nationwide architecture service.
Learn more
Where next? Well that's up to you, but here are some suggestions... you could contact us if you have any questions, or apply for free quotes from local home professionals.

Popular Articles

Sign up to our newsletter
Thank you! Your submission has been received!
Oops! Something went wrong while submitting the form.